I’ve gone from big to bigger: Anil Kapoor

Anil Kapoor is going great guns. After the international acclaim following “Slumdog Millionaire”, he is all set to make his debut on the Indian television scenario with the final season of American series “24”. He describes the action drama as “bigger than the biggest” he has done in India. “This small screen (“24”) was bigger than the big screen that I have done in India. It was bigger than the biggest that I’ve ever done,” says Anil. And how’s that? “For example, the scale of every episode was bigger than any of the films I’ve done in the past. The entire series is worth $125-150 million. I’ve never done such a big show in my career. It was very special,” adds the 50-year-old.

Based in New York (shot in Los Angeles), the around-$150 million “24” is an action-drama series starring Kiefer Sutherland in the lead as special agent Jack Bauer. The show is presented in the semblance of real time, with each 24-episode season covering 24 hours in the life of Bauer. This is the eighth and final season of the show. Anil plays Omar Hassan, president of a fictional Islamic Republic of Kamistan (IRK), who visits USA on a peace mission to meet the president of the Unites States.

“I am definitely the first mainstream star from India to have this kind of job opportunity on television there,” he said. “There is a threat to my life and the story begins from there. I play one of the most pivotal leads of the show. I am there in most of the series.”
So how long was he in the US for the show? “I was there (LA) for six months. Basically, I was coming and going. I was also shooting a film “No Problem” in India and South Africa. So in between, I shot two schedules of the film too,” he says. And how was his international experience? “The experience has been very enriching and educative – something which I’ve never had. It was wonderful and creatively very uplifting. It has given me tremendous exposure. Never in my 30-year career have I got this kind of appreciation. It was almost as if I was some kind of ambassador from India and had made a difference to their lives. I was so overwhelmed. I think it went beyond professional respect,” says Anil.

And the actor doesn’t shy away from conceding that “it was all because of “Slumdog Millionaire”.” Rumours are rife that he is keen to move on from the “Slumdog Millionaire” success.

Ask him about it, and he says, “You always have to attach and detach and that is the only way you can create more. I don’t get attached to it and start living in past glory. I don’t want to do that. I just want to move on and look at the future rather than looking at the past.” Has Bollywood taken a backseat? “No. I can’t forget my roots. I am what I am because of that. I have moved on and I’ll do that also but I’ll keep on doing this,” he says.

He is now waiting to know the reaction of his Indian fans to his transition. “There is no transition, because for me it was from big to bigger. But I am curious and anxious to know their reactions. I am waiting,” he says. And what about the future projects? Is he working on anything currently? “I’ve got the sequels to “Race”, “No Entry” and “Mr. India”,” he says. He may star in Priyadarshan’s action movie. He is also in talks with Sophia Loren’s son, actor Ben Stiller and Fox Television.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...