When Mumbai went wacko about Jacko

MiD DAY photographer Suresh K K remembers the day he shot Michael Jackson (with his camera)

I remember the frisson of excitement running through the MiD DAY newsroom, and I guess through all newsrooms, when it was announced that Michael Jackson would perform in Mumbai in October 1996.

For at least a fortnight before the event, reporters and photographers were scurrying around the city to find news related to Jackson.

We even visited the concert venue Andheri Sports Complex numerous times for pre-arrival pictures.

Hordes of press photographers had crowded Sahar international airport when Jackson was scheduled to arrive.

Camera lenses jostled against each other and tempers frayed as the flight was delayed. We had to wait for 6-7 hours.

Finally, news spread that Jackson had arrived. We rushed back from our vada pav, sandwich and cigarette breaks to take pictures.

Actress Sonali Bendre, looking like a real Mumbaichi mulgi, had arrived at the airport to welcome Jackson. Raj Thackeray was also present.

Lucky me
When Jackson came out of the airport, I remember an explosion of flashes. But I soon realised that MJ had some kind of a reflective band on his arm, which made it difficult for us to use the flash.

Just before he arrived, I remember thinking how fortunate I was to be a photographer.

For only a select few had got a glimpse of MJ. Yet, when I finally saw him, I did not think he was an overpowering personality; all I felt was an intense pressure to get his photograph, amongst that group of people.

MJ came out and soon got into a vehicle. He was going to the Oberoi Hotel where he was scheduled to stay. The streets were lined with slum dwellers and urchins who could not comprehend who had arrived.

One slum dweller told me, "Koi bada Amreecan hai." Then, MJ got out of his vehicle much to the displeasure of his security and started dancing with the slum dwellers for a couple of minutes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...